Crockpot Shredded AdoboLada Chicken


So I must warn you ~ this post is a little all over the board. I started out with one intention and ended up in another direction. I didn't even know what to call it. But I bet you're curious as to what AdoboLada is. 

I came across a recipe from Bless This Mess that said it was spot on for Subway bread. Now, usually if I'm going to make subs at home, I stop at Milio's or Jimmy Johns and pick up a couple of their day-old loaves for dirt cheap - like 50 cents each. You can't beat that, unless of course you aren't going near a Milio's or a JJ, then making your own at home would come in handy! Between you, me and the fencepost: out of all the sub shops, Subway is my least favorite, but I enjoy making bread so I thought I'd give it a try. 

Then, while reading the comments in the bread post, someone mentioned a commercial for the Subway Frito Chicken Enchilada Melt. I thought hmmm... that sounds kinda good! I will make the bread & try to duplicate the sub. (Which I later found out is actually on flat bread, not their sub bread, but oh well.)

My favorite way to make shredded chicken (or beef) in the crockpot is with just Sweet Baby Ray's sauce and root beer. MMMMM. So, I decided to swap out the Sweet Baby Rays for something more "enchilada-ish" and I only had a small can of enchilada sauce. (And I've mentioned before, I'm still on the mad hunt for a good homemade enchilada sauce.) I decided to use a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - which from prior experience, has taught me they are like hellfire! So I decided to throw those in the food processor along with a can of regular diced tomatoes to tone everything down, and make that my "sauce". And in hindsight, I should've only used a half can of the peppers. Next time. Anyway, here are my 3 main ingredients (well, aside from chicken breasts):


 So I combined my peppers and tomatoes. And I tell you... whew! Even rising out the pepper can for recycling had me coughing from the pepper/adobo fumes!


I then put my chicken breasts (I like to use the boneless, frozen ones) in my crockpot and poured my sauce and 3/4 of the can of root beer in.


I'm going to say I have THE BEST crockpot ever. It's a Hamilton Beach 33135 3-in-1 Slow Cooker with 2-, 4-, and 6-Quart Crocks, Stainless Steel. So, it has a nice base, and comes with 3 different removable crock sizes. The lid fits all. Then you just let it know what size you are using and it determines how to heat it. It's my second kitchen appliance BFF.



Cover, cook on low for about 5-6 hours, shredding the chicken when it has an hour left to cook. At this point I usually just use a potato masher and mash it, but I had a sneaky suspicion the sauce might be too hot to use. So I took the chicken out and shredded it on a different plate. And yes, the sauce was HOT.  Here's where my AdoboLada (yeah, I made that up) comes in: I then used the can of enchilada sauce to continue cooking with the meat after I shredded it. I did add a spoonful of the hot sauce to the enchilada sauce because it was mild. 

While it was all cooking, I made my bread. Pretty easy stuff!


The combination of the two did give the chicken a great taste! So then topped with some cheese, Fritos and chicken on top of my "Subway bread", it was delish!!


 I used the leftovers the next day and used the bread again, and to change it up a bit, grilled it on my panini pan to make a panini.

 
Mmm. Good stuff, even the next day.



Pin It

Check out where I Link Party and share my posts!


Comments