My Cheeseburger Love Affair

Have I mentioned I love a good cheeseburger? And like them in several forms (except  Bisquick's Cheeseburger pie recipe.... yuck.) My last post was about a grilled cheeseburger sandwich and now I'm going to share one of my absolute favorite soup recipes... Cheeseburger & Fry Soup. Here in Wisconsin it's been pretty cool still (36 degrees at lunch) so I decided this would be a good one to make today. And I had some burger that needed to be used up. I didn't take any pictures as I was making the soup, the troops were pretty hungry and I needed to just get it done. But, it's all basic food prep stuff, so you'll be fine. However, I will share a picture of what we are working towards just to keep you interested. :)


Mmmmmm....a creamy base soup with the likings of a cheeseburger & fries! And a few croutons for the "bun".

You'll need whatever you like on a cheeseburger. I would throw in a can of petite diced tomatoes but then my kids would turn up their noses. I already have one child... wait for it.... who doesn't like bacon. Can you even fathom such a thing? 

This batch I used: 

Cheeseburger & Fry Soup    click here for printable version

1 lb ground beef, cooked
2 1/2 cups water
3 tsp beef stock or boullion granules
4 cups (?)Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed into bite sized pieces. (I really can't say exactly how much to use, I really just wing it every time I make it)
1 tsp crushed garlic
black pepper (no measure, just shake some in)
3 tbsp finely chopped onion*
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped kosher dill pickles*
1/4 cup chopped pickled sliced jalapenos* (I buy these by the huge jar from Sam's Club)
approx 4 cups milk, 1/2 cup reserved
4 tbsp flour
approx 1/2 bag of Patrick Cudahy fully cooked bacon pieces* (or cook up & crumble your own)*
8 oz any kind of melting cheese. If you like Velveeta, use that cubed. I don't care for Velveeta so I use Sam's Club nacho cheese sauce (again, I buy a big can!) You can add regular cheddar cheese but make sure it's not the pre-shredded kind, it doesn't melt well. Shred your own block of cheese.
few squirts of ketchup*
few squirts of mustard*
1/4 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper*
croutons (plain work best, or flavored with salt or pepper)

* these items are personal preference as to how much you want to add based on your liking. Feel free to add more, less or omit.

Cook your ground beef, drain and set aside.

In the same pot (with all grease removed) add your water, beef granules, cubed potatoes, garlic and onion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are cooked. Add dill pickles, jalapenos and 3 1/2 cups milk; heat through. Combine flour and balance of milk until smooth; gradually stir into the soup. Bring back to a boil and stir while cooking about 2 minutes, until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat, add in bacon and cheese, stirring until melted. Squirt in your ketchup, mustard and cayenne pepper if using and stir to combine. Serve in bowls topped with more bacon, cheese and croutons.


Go enjoy!

Pin It

Check out where I Link Party and share my posts!

Comments