Happy St. Patty's Day!




Top 'O the mornin' to you! 

I'm not Irish, but I will gladly celebrate St. Patty's day to the fullest when it comes to food. I had found a recipe earlier in the week and thought it would be perfect to make for today's breakfast. Savory Irish Breakfast Pie. Doesn't that sound great? Now for the bad news... for the life of me, I can't come up with the original recipe that I had found. I could've sworn it was an article on my nbcnews.com homepage about different pies on Pi Day. I have searched & searched that website and nothing comes up. I have Googled the name of the recipe and still can't come up with the original recipe. I had cut & pasted what I had found earlier this week in an email that I sent to my mom so that is the only source of the recipe I have. So I apologize to Greg Henry, who is the author of Savory Pies: Delicious Recipes for Seasoned Meats, Vegetables and Cheeses Baked in Perfectly Flaky Pie Crusts, the cookbook that has the recipe in it, and I will encourage everyone to buy a copy because I have it in my cart for my next order! Since this pie was so yummy, I can't wait to try others.



So, to start this wonderful dish, you will need:

Basic Pie Pastry (I make my own, recipe is here)
6 slices of bacon (to save time, I used Patrick Cudahy fully cooked bacon pieces)
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes
Kosher salt & freshly cracked black pepper
8 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 egg yolk lightly beaten with 1 tsp water for egg wash

Prepare your pie crust and put into your pie dish. I used a 9" pie plate. The recipe says to peel your potatoes, but I like mine with the peels on. I thinly sliced my potatoes and put in a large saucepan with water to cover, brought to a boil but only cooked about 2 minutes. Drained and set on a paper plate covered with paper towel to blot dry. 


I filled the bottom of the pie crust with the bacon and started layering the potatoes on top. After each layer of potatoes, I sprinkled with pepper. Keep layering until you nearly fill the dish.




In a bowl, whisk together 4 eggs, cream and parsley. Pour over the potatoes. Crack the remaining 4 eggs on top of the potatoes, being careful not to break. I tried to purposely put mine in 4 even spots so I could make the holes on the top crust match up better, but since they are runny and slippery, they tend to just go where they want to, little buggers!


Use a round cutter (I didn't have one and used a small shot glass!) to make a few holes in the top crust. You don't have to do this, it's purely for decoration and you can use whatever shape you want. Now that I think about it, I think I have a small shamrock cutter I could've used. Darn!!


Carefully put your top crust on top of your pie, making sure you don't break your yolks. I gently slid my eggs to the holes if they were close. They don't have to peak through, but it does look kinda neat. Gently brush your crust with the egg wash.


Bake at 375 for approx 45 minutes, until crust is lightly golden and the eggs & potatoes are cooked through. Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serve warm or at room temperature. 


 Ta-da! It's done! Now go cut yourself a slice and enjoy with some fresh orange juice!




Print the recipe HERE. Now off to figure out what to make for dinner!

Pin It

Check out where I Link Party and share my posts!

Comments

  1. I'm making this one for sure! pinning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good Maureen, thanks! It's a great one for all year 'round, not just St Patty's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm part Irish and I will make that with my fresh eggs! I could make that for dinner too, the way I make French-style baked eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your Irish Breakfast Pie recipe with From the Farm Blog Hop! We've shared it as one of our favorites this week. Check it out at http://myhealthygreenfamily.com/blog/wordpress/from-the-farm-blog-hop-is-live-5/.
    Looking forward to seeing what you have to share with us next week!
    Leona from www.myhealthygreenfamily.com
    From The Farm Co-Host

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Little Homestead for stopping by! Yes, it would make a wonderful dinner, we always like breakfast for dinner. :) I was just at your site & am following!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Free Range Mama, thanks for stopping by! I did see at the From The Farm blog that my savory pie was featured this week and proudly grabbed a button! :) Now following you on FB!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts? I'd love to hear from you! I read each one and respond when called for. :)